Language transitions

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Fri Feb 8 14:39:43 AEST 1985

Pascal has two major problems:  (1) it was designed as a *teaching* language,
and (2) it was designed for batch systems -- the "PROGRAM FOOBIE(INPUT,
OUTPUT, BLETCH);" was intended to be linked to a file name via the CDC
version of a "DD" statement.

I think Pascal is great when used as intended.  I wish I could get my
hands on Modula for either my TRS-80 Model I or for our Unix system,
though; *that* language was designed for real world applications.

If anyone should be flamed for Pascal's unsuitability, it's the people
who first took it out of its intended environment.

Brandon (bsa at ncoast.UUCP)
--
Brandon Allbery, decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa, "ncoast!bsa"@case.csnet (etc.)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)