Quality programming in c -- a rarity?

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sun Feb 17 06:54:03 AEST 1985

> PLEASE try to remember that not all of us run Berkeley Unix, and not
> all of us can *afford* to run Berkeley Unix.  Our compiler routinely
> chokes on long identifiers in Berzerker programs.

Now that System V Release 2 also supports long variable names (and hooray
for that!), this warning should be reiterated - long variable names are
*very* nice, but if you want your software to run on most of the UNIX
machines out there, keep them unique in the first 6 characters.  On the
PDP-11, even S5R2 has the 7-character limitation.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy