Language transitions

g-frank at gumby.UUCP g-frank at gumby.UUCP
Thu Feb 28 00:10:34 AEST 1985

> I program in both C and Modula-2.  Which is better?  Well, the combination
> of strong typing and the ability to also breach the strong typing is
> certainly nice in Modula-2.  But I miss my favorite C expressions like:
>
> while ((c=getmeach())==' ')

I miss this too.  On the other hand, what comes with letting a statement
be an rvalue is that

	if (c = 10)
	    printf ("You blew it!\n") ;

compiles just fine, and is very hard to find.

> and so on.  But, I am very fond of MODULEs in Modula-2.  And, oh yes,
> I HATE (read, "H*A*T*E") typing my keywords in uppercase.

Absolutely.  The effect is to make all Modula-2 programs look like
ransom notes.  I wish some of the compiler vendors would supply a compile-
time switch to let us type the keywords in whatever case we wanted.

--
      Dan Frank

	  Q: What's the difference between an Apple MacIntosh
	     and an Etch-A-Sketch?

	  A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.