C cross compiler

johnl at ima.UUCP johnl at ima.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 14:37:46 AEST 1985

>> Oh, like, wow.  Are there still 360/20s around?
>[followed by derogatory comments about the 360/20 instruction set]
>I fail to see the purpose in responding to someone's request for
>information in this manner.  Do you really think that several hundred
>thousand dollars, or a few million dollars, worth of equipment is going to
>be thrown away every time someone comes up with something new?  I think the
>name for this kind of attitude is "snobbery."

I think some people are a little touchy.  I have nothing against the 360/20 --
it was fun to program.  But the /20 was designed twenty years ago.  It was made
of discrete transistors and core memory.  There is newer stuff in glass cases
in the Computer Museum.  I really am amazed if somewhere there is still a /20
in production use.  For the cost of power and maintenance alone, it'd likely be
cheaper to throw the 20 away and replace it, perhaps with a System/36 if the
software is mostly RPG or a PC XT/370 if it's in assembler.  The /20 was a
minimal CPU onto which you could hang some decent peripherals, like a 1000
LPM train printer.  But it's dumb -- less cpu power than an 8080, and with
typically 4K or 8K of memory, not much room to maneuver.

Writing a C compiler for this fine antique would be a tour de force, but it's
hard to imagine why one would even try.

John Levine, ima!johnl, Levine at YALE.ARPA

PS:  If you want to get rid of your 20, perhaps the Computer Museum would take
it for its collection -- it's a little weak in PDP-8 era IBMery.