more about programming style

Tom Kessler tomk at ur-laser.uucp
Fri Jul 12 00:12:23 AEST 1985

>Luckily, some of the code is readable, so I hope that what is
>wrong is in that.  Let's say the problem with the program is that a
>variable is being incremented when it shouldn't be.  However I don't
>know that the variable is being incremented because I see this cryptic
>"stuff++" which I pretty much ignore because the code is full of things
>like that which gets lost in the shuffle.  I'm lost, the programmer
>doesn't know what's wrong, and we're stuck.

If you're too lazy to leaf through a book on the programming language
and try to understand the fundamental idioms of a language ( even if
you're not too bright it shouldn't take more than a few hours to become
familiar enough with a new language to be able to read it ) you have
no business trying to read the code.