ANSI proposal for preprocessor strings

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Fri Mar 8 03:13:33 AEST 1985

> Let us say we have a preprocessor command
>
> 	# define	FOO(d,e)	printf("%d\n", e)
>
> Now, there are two ways this can be handled on current implementations
>
> 	(1)	FOO(x,10) becomes printf("%x\n", 10)
> 	(2)	FOO(x,10) becomes printf("%d\n", 10)
>
> MOST implementations use style (1).  MOST implementations use it
> identically....

Please cite your justification for your use of the word "MOST" in
this connection.  What you say was probably true five years ago.
It isn't now.  The majority of current C implementations probably
are *not* derived from Bell code, and therefore do not incorporate
its eccentricities.  C is no longer the near-exclusive property of
Unix users, and the Unix implementations are now (I think) in the
minority.  Not because there aren't a lot more Unix implementations
now, but because there are a LOT more non-Unix implementations.

MANY, perhaps most, implementations of C do NOT use the Reiser cpp.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology