C compiler for IBM /370 wanted

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sat Mar 16 12:06:43 AEST 1985

> 	2. A company called RIS (they make a data base system
> 	called ORACLE) in California. They sell a C compiler,
> 	it isn't cheap but may have advantages that make it
> 	worthwhile (support, they use it for their DB sys so
> 	it probably is pretty good.)

BULLSHIT.  The company is called RSI and it sucks.  We have compiled
a list of over one hundred serious and not so serious bugs.  They include
not being able to ever reuse a local symbol, the fact that if you declare
a variable that has the same name as some assembler symbol (like R12) the
compiler does not detect the problem.  Performance is terrible as well.
The support is a joke.  They are not interested in supporting the compiler
nor fixing any of these bugs.  The compiler implementor was tired of hearing
from us.  It was never intended that this be used as a product.  They wrote
it so they could port the database (which is no bargain either) to the IBM.
They can live with the idiosyncracies of the compiler long enough to get
Oracle compiled, but you can't do any real work with it.  It was an entire
waste of two thousand dollars.

-Ron