structured assembler (BASIC) [Really: C builtin functions?]

jj at nrcvax.UUCP jj at nrcvax.UUCP
Sat Apr 19 09:03:20 AEST 1986

In article <584 at ihdev.UUCP> pdg at ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:

>You are sort of right,  but sizeof qualifies as a builtin function,
>even though it is a compile-time function vs run-time.   Anyone disagree?
>--
>
>Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
>ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'
>					  - H. Thompson

'Sizeof' does not have to look like a function at all.  Think of it as
a multi-character operator.  It seems to be convention to always
use 'sizeof(x)' when 'sizeof x' would work the same.  The parenthesis
are only necessary when 'x' is a type.  I guess this is the same as
most people using 'return (x)' instead of just 'return x'.