ld - the link editor

Bruce Jilek bruce at graffiti.UUCP
Wed Jan 8 05:30:10 AEST 1986

Having just read a very long and dry description of the ld(1) Link
Editor for the AT&T Unix PC, I was impressed by the fact that there
are so many features not covered in the man pages on it.

My question is...why do you want to control the link process in that
way.  For example, why would you want to change the entry point for a program,
or other such subtle memory allocation features.  Are there any "easy to
identify with" reasons, or is this a remnant from days gone by when Unix
was an academic subject only.