ld - the link editor

Curt Mayer freak at nsc.UUCP
Thu Jan 9 07:07:37 AEST 1986

In article <106 at graffiti.UUCP> bruce at graffiti.UUCP (Bruce Jilek) writes:
>Having just read a very long and dry description of the ld(1) Link
>Editor for the AT&T Unix PC, I was impressed by the fact that there
>are so many features not covered in the man pages on it.
>
>My question is...why do you want to control the link process in that
>way.  For example, why would you want to change the entry point for a program,
>or other such subtle memory allocation features.  Are there any "easy to
>identify with" reasons, or is this a remnant from days gone by when Unix
>was an academic subject only.

yep. sure are. have you ever heard of embedded applications? that's where you
have a micro (say a 68k or something) controlling some thingy (like a toaster).
if i have my memory map in this toaster screwed by the hardware designers, then
i need to be able to load text over here in rom, and data and bss way over there
in ram. get the idea? by the way, this is very, very common.

	but, it makes the cat throw up.

	curt mayer