What should be added to C, call it PL/2

James E. Wilson jew at usl.UUCP
Wed Jun 25 04:48:19 AEST 1986

In article <4327 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.UUCP writes:
>> >You don't want to call it PL/2 anyway because it's not PL/1 it is PL/I.
>>
>> On Multics (the distant ancestor of UNIX), it's PL/1; the compiler is
>> called "pl1", programs are foo.pl1, etc.  Considering the (historical)
>
>So what?  GE/Honeywell didn't invent the language, IBM did, so if IBM says
>it's PL/I it's PL/I.  Furthermore, the fact that the command name of the
>compiler, and the language suffix, is ".pl1" doesn't mean that the
>language's name is PL/1; what does the Multics *documentation* call it?

Honeywell Multics documentation does indeed call it PL/I .  But it is
pronounced "pl1" at both Multics and IBM sites.  The "I" is merely a
Roman numeral, and thus the hypothetical successor would be PL/II.

                               Jim Wilson

US Mail:  USL P.O. Box 45147, Lafayette, LA 70504; tel. (318)231-6423
UUCP:   {ut-sally, akgua}!usl!jew        ARPA:  usl!jew at ut-sally