What should be added to C, call it PL/2

William Sommerfeld wesommer at mit-trillian.MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 20 01:25:10 AEST 1986

In article <264 at brl-sem.ARPA> ron at brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>You don't want to call it PL/2 anyway because it's not PL/1 it is PL/I.

On Multics (the distant ancestor of UNIX), it's PL/1; the compiler is
called "pl1", programs are foo.pl1, etc.  Considering the (historical)
circumstances, I think it would be more approprate to call it PL/2.
But then, Multics PL/1 is a systems programming language, used to
write most of the system, and is somewhat different (in programming
environment, at least) from IBM PL/I.

					Bill Sommerfeld
				ARPA:   wesommer at athena.mit.edu
				UUCP:   mit-eddie!wesommer