Command line arguments

woody%Juliet.Caltech.Edu at cit-hamlet.ARPA woody%Juliet.Caltech.Edu at cit-hamlet.ARPA
Tue Mar 4 04:33:35 AEST 1986

>   [ Wayne Throop ]
>>  [ Carl Kuck ]

>>  2.  Command-line arguments are a part of C.
>>      Ref: K&R, chapter 5.11
>
>   Again, you don't catch on to subtleties.  The phrase is
>   "command-line arguments *or* parameters.  In fact, careful reading of
>   K&R convinces me that C may be correctly implemented on systems that
>   (shudder) *have* *no* *commands* *or* *command* *lines*, let alone
>   "command-line arguments."

    Like the Macintosh, where (despite Apple Computers) C seems to be the
de-facto programming language.  Under the Finder (read: Shell), running a
program is done by double-clicking the icon representing the program with
the mouse, and arguments may be passed by shift-clicking the appropriate
file icons before double-clicking the program icon.  Command lines?  What
command lines?  Do you see any command lines?

         - William Woody
      NET  Woody%Romeo at Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126