Datalight faster than 4.2, why?

Peter Ludemann ludemann at ubc-cs.UUCP
Fri May 30 11:54:13 AEST 1986

In article <2786 at utcsri.UUCP> greg at utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>I know of one *big* reason why the UNIX compiler would be easy to beat
>- it produces human-readable assembler. If it produced a binary-coded
>assembler, the costs of (1) writing out all that text (2) reading in
>all that text [twice] and ...

Sorry, not true.  The deSmet C compilers (for IBM-PC and Macintosh)
produce human readable assembler and they are still fast.  For example,
on my Mac, I can compile about 3000 lines per minute (including i/o
to and from floppies), although I do use a RAM disk for the temp files
(the compiler is 3 passes, the last being the assembler).  Incidentally,
I think that deSmet (or C-ware) makes fine products at a good price;
they are also very responsive to bug reports --- I have received
written replies every time.

(Incidentally, the deSmet C on the Mac beat almost all the benchmarks
in the recent Byte article, both for compiling and for run-time code.)