Datalight faster than 4.2, why?

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.UUCP
Fri May 30 00:59:36 AEST 1986

Re: cpp as a separate pass/program

I wonder out loud how hard it would be to turn CPP into a subroutine,
change its main() to cpp_main() and set up the call in the main() of ccom,
and of course figure out a way to get cc to understand that (probably could
just pass the arg list as a single quoted string and break it up in ccom?)

If that were done it could be a MAKE option when the compiler were built
(would probably build both so you still had the stand-alone cpp on-line,
but at least now you're sure the code is the same.) Maybe there would be
some externals clashes but I've done this sort of thing before and it's
usually just idiot work (changing names of symbols that clash.)

Then again, I agree with Torek, it's not of obvious value, but I think
a compromise like this would be easy enough. I think the current trend
in technology indicates such efforts are probably a waste of time (by
the time you get it debugged and out everyone is running a machine twice
as fast anyhow, you can say any saving is worthwhile but that's not true,
there's a point where I can't tell its there.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University