Datalight faster than 4.2, why?

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue May 13 00:05:55 AEST 1986

In article <989 at dataioDataio.UUCP>, bjorn at dataio.UUCP writes:
>... I notice this (odd) fact: the compiler on the PC is better than
>the one on the VAX!  It's faster, it produces better code, and it
>catches errors that the UNIX C does not.  So I'm curious:
>	The state-of-the-art in compilers has progressed on PCs,
>	so why hasn't anyone come up with a better compiler for
>	UNIX, or have I just not heard of it?

1.  Your company gets paid for improving your compiler.  Is not
    that so?

2.  The 4.3BSD C compiler has a number of improvements in both
    compilation speed and code generation.  (Nothing major, just
    little fixes, but then *we* are *not* paid to do this sort
    of thing....)

3.  I believe there are several optimising compilers for Vax Unix
    (which version(s), I do not know) on the market.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu