questions from using lint

Dave Bloom dave at andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue May 6 00:54:34 AEST 1986

>> People, what are *we* doing wrong when somebody can spend 3 years programming
>> in a particular language and only then start using one of the most important
>> development tools for it?

> Good question.  I offer the following opinion:  generally, even though
> most companies (and schools, for that matter) give lip service to
> "proper" development techniques, in reality they reward those who
> write sloppy, un-commented, ill-planned or un-planned code.

Just because you don't always use lint, doesn't mean your code is sloppy
or ill planned. Very often programs do *NOT* have to be portable... In
fact, sometimes code is easier to read if you haven't gone out of your
way to be portable.

Further more, the Lint S/N ration is frustrating, to say the least. And
many of us don't believe in muddling up code with void casts and the like
to keep lint happy....
--
      harvard\ pyramid\				      Dave Bloom
       seismo \  pyrnj \