LINT

William E. Woody woody at juliet.caltech.edu
Thu May 1 12:54:23 AEST 1986

>  You people fail to realize that some of us out here don't like lint.
>  It complains too much about what I do....
>
>         (Root Boy) Jim Cottrell        <rbj at cmr>

  Here here!  Though (whenever possible) I try to run my code through lint,
I think I only use about a fifth of what lint complains (screams, shouts,
moans, groans) about.  And running my code through lint is not a happy
little chore that I do just before running my code and going to sleep at
night; it's a horrible little task (akin to turning homework into the
mean little ol' silver haired english teacher, knowing she's going to slash
my entire paper apart).

  But that fifth of information lint does cough up is extremely nice; sometimes
when you're tired and have about three million four byte structures bouncing
about in your code and it's four in the morning and the program must be
finished at nine; your girlfriend left you for your roommate and no
companies on the west coast is willing to offer you a summer job between
school years, it sure is nice to know that you accidently put an extra '*'
before one of your pointers (a silly typo, I know) which will blow up and
burn away the mainframe your working on.  (And when your roommate is the
sysman, WATCH OUT!)

  By the way, does anyone know if a public domain LINT exists?  Or an
inexpensive one for my little Macintosh here?  Unprotected memory sure is
a pain to find when you mess up the pointers.
         - William Woody
      NET  Woody%Romeo at Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126