sizeof(char)

Jeff Siegal jbs at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 12 05:56:28 AEST 1986

In article <9116 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>[...]
>The MicroVAX-II supports the *bit field instructions of the VAX*.  This is
>*not* the same as supporting "bit addressing".  Does the MicroVAX-II have
>the ability to do a "movl" to an arbitrary *bit* boundary in memory?
>[...]it doesn't support "bit addressing" in the general sense.

In the general sense, no, but you can move any string of up to 32 bits
from any bit boundry in memory to any other.  I don't see the
difference between this and a movl to any bit location.  It is
certainly much different than having to read memory in byte (or word)
boundries and do shifts.

Jeff Siegal