sizeof(char)

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Nov 23 08:38:41 AEST 1986

In article <3853 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
> In article <9116 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>> Does the MicroVAX-II have the ability to do a "movl" to an arbitrary
>> *bit* boundary in memory?

Yes, but it's called INSV.  Look it up.

> In the general sense, no, but you can move any string of up to 32
> bits from any bit boundry in memory to any other.

I can't see any way of doing this without using a longword-aligned
intermediate stopping place (such as a register).  How?

> It is certainly much different than having to read memory in byte (or
> word) boundries and do shifts.

It is.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu

[USA NSA food: terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, CIA, secret, decode]