sizeof(char)

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Nov 11 06:18:39 AEST 1986

> I realize this has nothing to do with the issue being discussed, but
> let's keep the technical references accurate.  DEC's current
> generation of processor chips (the 78032, aka MicroVAX-II) _does_
> support bit addressing and manipulation.

The MicroVAX-II supports the *bit field instructions of the VAX*.  This is
*not* the same as supporting "bit addressing".  Does the MicroVAX-II have
the ability to do a "movl" to an arbitrary *bit* boundary in memory?  A
"movc5" to an arbitrary *bit* boundary in memory?  Unless it's got a whole
set of bit-boundary instructions (i.e., unless they've added a bit-boundary
version of most of the instructions it supports), it doesn't support "bit
addressing" in the general sense.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)