Looking for a good C text

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-sem.ARPA
Tue Nov 18 10:51:53 AEST 1986

In article <1360 at umd5>, don at umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:
> "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison and Steele, ISBN 0-13-110008-4,
> Prentice-Hall

Harbison and Steele is a great book, especially because it is one of
the few that even begins to mention differences between compilers, but
it is a little rough to learn out of.  I'd suggest keeping
	Kernighan and Ritchie, Kernighan and Pike, and Harbison and
	Steele
by your desk at all times.

Now some nominations for the worst books of all times:

	The C Handbook.  I'm not sure who wrote this.  It looks
	like a TAB handbook, but I was so disgusted by it that
	I threw it back on the shelf without noting the authors
	or publishers.

	Any of Gauthier's UNIX books.

-Ron