Looking for a good C text

Chris Sylvain don at umd5
Tue Nov 18 03:41:12 AEST 1986

In article <1426 at kitty.UUCP> larry at kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <2495 at phri.UUCP>, roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>> 	I'm planning on giving a somewhat informal course in C programming
>> and don't know what text to use.  The only C book I actually own is K&R's
>> "The C Programming Language"...
>
> ... While Kernighan/Ritchie and
>Kernighan/Pike are the classic books to get started with, I have found two
>other books which seem more intuitive:
>
>"C Primer Plus" by Waite, Prata and Martin, ISBN 0-672-22090-3, Sams
>
>"Advanced UNIX Programming" by Rochkind, ISBN 0-13-011800-1, Prentice-Hall

Alas, the Rochkind book emphasizes SYSV... (of course this may or may not
be a problem for you, depending on your machine)

I've found a book that seems the best choice for me:

"C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison and Steele, ISBN 0-13-110008-4,
Prentice-Hall

For UNIX(tm), I'd recommend Kernighan and Pike.