Incrementing after a cast

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Jan 6 05:39:23 AEST 1987

In article <2029 at brl-adm.ARPA> .csnet"@relay.cs.net> writes:
>Casts are conversions? Oh? You'd never know it looking at the code that
>out of my C compilers ... including Harbison's!  He just regards away.

The sender's name and some of his text must have been processed by
software written according to his notions of type casts!

>... Why lots of people with ordinary machines can't do something
>useful, intuitive, and natural because some solder-crazed EE somewhere might,
>just might mind you, someday do something unnatural to his memory system is
>beyond me.

Funny, I never considered Dennis Ritchie a "solder-crazed EE".
He explained to this list not long ago that type casts definitely
are conversions, done "as if" via assignment to unnamed temporary
variables.  I don't know why this is so hard for some people to
understand, unless perhaps there are instructors out there who
are teaching falsehoods.