Incrementing after a cast

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Fri Jan 2 22:13:19 AEST 1987

In article <2029 at brl-adm.ARPA> .csnet"@relay.cs.net> writes:
(Something confused, including:)
>	"Think of the bits refered to as p as a (sometype *).
>	 If don't have enough bits or you have too many bits
>	 do something reasonable.  Now increment the (sometype *)
>	 you're thinking of.  Now put the results back into p.
>	 If you	 don't have enough bits or you have too many bits,
>	 do something reasonable."

Others have already commented on special-casing, models of
computation, and the like, and I couldn't do it better.
Let me pick at this a moment.
First, "increment":  what's the sizeof(bits)?  By how much does
one increment?
Second: "something reasonable": I  w i l l  pick at this, despite
your request.  There is a good model (modulo arithmetic) for
what to do if different integers are different sizes.  What
model do you propose for pointers?  For  s t r u c t u r e s ?
C gives warnings on some casts, anyway; now you want to make
this even worse?
Third: what is wrong with (*sigh*):
	type1 p;
	p = (type1) ((type2)p + 1);

If anyone replies with "too many keystrokes" I am not responsible
for the responses he or she gets.  From anyone.  Self included.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)