C questions

Peter at adm.UUCP Peter at adm.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 03:11:24 AEST 1987

I am currently finishing up a new text book on C with a colleague
of mine and we just received the last of several technical reviews.
This particular reviewer makes some statements that we find hard
to accept. However, we're just two people, so we decided to get
some opinions from other C programmers. Below is a list of some
his statements. Is this guy for real? Your comments would be
greatly appreciated. Incidentally, the text is not an intro
text, it assumes the reader has finished a course in Pascal.

"... 95% of all C programmers couldn't give you a good
explanation of the term lvalue..."

"... Switch/case could be classified as rarely used and should be
kept till later.

"... very few C programmers know much about sizeof..."

"... 99%  of  all  professional C  programmers  have no idea
what typedef is all about, couldn't care less and probably
won't ever need it."

"... 99%  of  all  professional C  programmers  have no idea
what the comma operator is all about, couldn't care less and
probably won't ever need it."

"... Leave the comma operator altogether. An intro book is no
place for obscure and unmaintainable tricks..."

"... Pointers to functions ... few C programmers understand
them or would ever need them..."

"... a C programmer never needs to know what a byte is..."