Keywords and optimization

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Apr 27 00:05:58 AEST 1988

  While I am generally against the addition of keywords into the
language, I am in favor of having some way for the programmer to specify
things which will make the program run faster, and to do so in a
portable way. Since alias and volatile effect the optimization process,
these are good things to specify, and if not with keywords then some
other (portable) way.

  This can and does make a diference in real programs. Ignoring keywords
by use of the -Oa option in the Microsoft compiler generated code which
was up to 10% faster in some cases. I looked at the generated code, and
I could see why it was done one way or the other. I'm using this as an
example, since that compiler allows me to control the functioning of
that feature.

  Instead of fighting about this or that keyword, and why something
is/isn't needed, perhaps some of the people who have not joined the
screaming match could suggest a way in which this information could be
supplied to the compiler. There is still a premium on speed and size in
the commercial software market, and anything which would allow portable
specification of characteristics would benefit the programmer (larger
market) and the user (more software). How about some solutions, rather
than opinions.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)