Keywords and optimization

robison at uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu robison at uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 28 05:02:00 AEST 1988

For a language which incorporates optimization information very cleanly,
look at the FX language[1][2].  It introduces the notion of an "effect system"
which describes side effects in a manner analogous to the way a type system
describes types.  The effect system allows very aggressive but safe
optimization, documentation of side effects, and polymorphism.
FX programs can be strongly type checked and effect checked, that is
the effects are not just advice but checkable assertions.

Disclaimer: I've only read the reference manual and haven't used FX yet.
            But its the first LISP-like language I've seen which should
	    run on stock hardware as fast as C.