Keywords and optimization

Dave Sill dsill at nswc-oas.arpa
Fri Apr 29 01:19:25 AEST 1988

Bill Davidsen writes:
>There is still a premium on speed and size in
>the commercial software market, and anything which would allow portable
>specification of characteristics would benefit the programmer (larger
>market) and the user (more software). How about some solutions, rather
>than opinions.

It's been suggested before.  What's needed is some mechanism for the
standardization of `#pragma's.  Personally, I like the approach used
by the ISO for the registration of escape sequences (ISO2375).

ISO appoints a Registration Authority which maintains a register of
the the meanings assigned to various escape sequences.  They receive
proposals, examine them to make sure they meet the appropriate
standards, circulate the proposals, consider comments on them, and, if
the proposal is accepted, distribute it in its final form.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
					-- Donald Knuth