Macro parameters getting substituted into strings

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Apr 10 09:38:34 AEST 1988

In article <7566 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <4253 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>> [stuff about Reiser behavior its (ab)use]
>> My preferred way to fix this would be for ANSI C to allow the *
>> (indirection) and [] (subscripting) operators on string literals in
>> constant expressions.
> I could support this, or some char-ize operator, but I don't think
> they'll make it into the standard at this point.

Then we are faced with a loss of functionality.  Suddenly there is no
way to define _IO or CTRL that is compatible with existing usage.  It
is reasonable to require us to rewrite our macro definitions; it is not
reasonable to require us to rewrite all our uses of the macro.  The
committee apparently recognized this when they provided # and ##, to
preserve the functionality of Reiser cpp substitution in strings and
/**/, but we need either a charize operator analogous to # or (my
preference) making subscripted string literals into constant
expressions in order to preserve the functionality of Reiser
substitution within ''.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu