Macro parameters getting substituted into strings

Jerry Schwarz jss at hector.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 06:11:02 AEST 1988

In article <1039 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP writes:

>Then we are faced with a loss of functionality.  Suddenly there is no
>way to define _IO or CTRL that is compatible with existing usage.  It
>is reasonable to require us to rewrite our macro definitions; it is not
>reasonable to require us to rewrite all our uses of the macro.

Its been several months since I made my comment: "the standard does
not break programs, new compilers break programs".   It seems
releveant here. If there is a loss of functionality it is because a
compiler vendor who provided this functionality in the past is
failing to provide it now.  If you want a portable program you can't
use this functionality, but that is not a change since in the past not
all compilers provided it.

Jerry Schwarz
Bell Labs, Murray Hill