A few random type questions.

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Aug 28 13:07:47 AEST 1988

In article <530 at accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> mills at baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Mills) writes:
>OK.  Let me see if I've got this straight.  There are defaults for both
>the storage class and type of an identifier, so if I say
>
>	foo;
>
>outside of a block, I'll get a static int foo, right?

Actually, in an X3J11-conforming compiler, you get an error message.
You can't default both type and storage class in X3J11 C.

>Also, is there any real reason for the 'auto' keyword?  Has anyone ever
>used it for anything?

It's not useful, but there is probably old code somewhere that declares
some local int variables with "auto i;" instead of "int i;".  Sigh.

>Last question: is 'register int baz()' legal and if so would it make any
>difference anywhere.

It is explicitly illegal in X3J11 C.

>Well, OK, one more.  What (if ever) was 'entry' used for?

Nothing.  It's no longer part of the language.
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu