Third public review of X3J11 C

Herman Rubin cik at l.cc.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 25 22:12:03 AEST 1988

In article <509 at accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu>, rob at raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
> In article <8374 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
> >In article <225800053 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >>you are going to know about it only AFTER the standard gets approved,
> >
> >I'm pretty sure the formation of X3J11 was announced in CACM, and it
> >has been well known in the C community for years (e.g. "The C Advisor"
> >and other regular columns).  I don't think it made the TV network news.
>
> Doubtless.  But we were talking about the numerical community, they
> generally don't read CACM.  So, was it announced in, say publications
> of the AAAS or the IEEE?  (NOTE: I'm not saying it wasn't, I don't
> know, and I'm curious)

It is important not just that it appear in a journal, but prominently.  If
you want input, go out and loudly proclaim it.  As a researcher, I find it
necessary to glance at more than 200 journals.  I certainly missed the
announcement in CACM (one of my lower priority journals).

I do not believe it appeared in _Science_, the journal of AAAS.  Now most
mathematicians and statisticians do not read any of the above named journals.
How about including the _Notices_ of the AMS, the _Bulletin_ of the IMS,
and the appropriate information journals of SIAM and ASA?  How about asking
the physicists and chemists and astronomers and geologists and biologists?
(Apologies to the groups left out are in order.)
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin at l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)