Third public review of X3J11 C

Michael Burgett burgett at steel.COM
Sat Aug 27 01:42:35 AEST 1988

These discussions about the flaws of the C language in dealing with complex
floating point ops, and the *failure* of X3J11 to solicit input and rectify
these things are getting _old_....

1) C is not now, has not been in the past, and (hopefully) will not be in
the future, a lanugage designed for writing scientific applications

2) C was designed and implemented to remove the onus of using assembly language
to write operating systems, utilities, device drivers and the ilk.  In this
regard, it has no equal.

In light of 1 & 2... where's the beef?  C is doing what it is designed to do,
and from what I've seen of the ANSI standard, will continue to do so.  My hat
off to the committee for not bowing to public pressure to try to make C all
things to all people (can you say PL/1... I knew you could.)

If you want to write an application demanding scientific functions, write the
damn things in fortran and then write all the stuff that makes sense to, in C.
(How would you like it if you hired a carpenter and he showed up with one tool
to try and add a room on your house?)  This seems to me the essence of why we
have different languages to begin with, and all the whining, sniveling and
crying *shouldn't* change that... just face it, to program effectively
you just might have to learn more than one language.... (shock! disbelief!!)

awww well.....  i guess i've flamed enuff for one letter....

	mike burgett		burgett!adobe at decwrl.dec.com

"my intellectual work belongs to my employer, but my flames are my own..."