Third public review of X3J11 C

Barry Margolin barmar at think.COM
Fri Aug 26 01:58:04 AEST 1988

In article <509 at accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob at raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>In article <8374 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>I'm pretty sure the formation of X3J11 was announced in CACM, and it
>Doubtless.  But we were talking about the numerical community, they
>generally don't read CACM.  So, was it announced in, say publications
>of the AAAS or the IEEE?

I believe that IEEE Computer (and maybe also IEEE Software) has a
regular column containing standards-related notices.

As for announcing such things in non-computer journals, that would
take quite a bit of foresight.  I'm sure that X3 simply has a list of
publications they regularly announce things in, rather than trying to
figure out all the possible journals that might be interested in a
particular standard.  It wouldn't seem obvious that journals of the
AAAS or AMS would be interested in a standard for a systems
programming language (that's all C has ever been intended to be, no
matter how many statisticians and scientists use it).  If the
scientific/numeric communities are interested, I think it should be
the responsibility of the editors of their journals to gather the
information, rather than relying on us CS people to know that they
care.  ANSI publishes a regular newsletter on all standards-related
activity; while I would not expect most people to read this, I WOULD
expect at least one journalist for each magazine to keep an eye on it.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar