Getchar w/wout echo

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Tue Aug 30 14:10:04 AEST 1988

In article <1988Aug26.170448.23115 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <313 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>>[about echo control]
>Admittedly, POSIX is not here yet... but *that's* the standardized interface
>for such things that you should be trying to use.  I would expect to see
>subsets of that interface made available in most non-Unix C implementations
>as well.

Given that the main criticism of my proposal to use the Curses interface
was that Curses carries too much with it, I imagine that this won't please
*present* Macintosh users (other than A/UX users) much either.  I'd be
delighted to use POSIX terminal control, except that we don't seem to have
it on our Suns yet, or any of our other machines either.

(1) Is the POSIX terminal interface settled yet?
(2) Which vendors have hinted at a shipping date for POSIX-compatible
    terminal control? (serious)  Have the OSF? (joke)
(3) Has anyone produced a free "approximation" of the POSIX terminal
    interface which can sit on top of either BSD 4.3 or V.3?