Getchar w/wout echo

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Aug 27 03:04:48 AEST 1988

In article <313 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>... post the sources to comp.sys.apple.mac or whatever it
>is called.  That's the way to produce a de facto standard, and that's how
>we'll get echo control in the next version of ANSI C.

If you propose this, the odds are very high that X3J11 will say "(a) this
is not a portable construct, since some operating systems cannot implement
it; (b) POSIX already does this" and reject it.

Admittedly, POSIX is not here yet... but *that's* the standardized interface
for such things that you should be trying to use.  I would expect to see
subsets of that interface made available in most non-Unix C implementations
as well.
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu