cpp compatiblity Unix/VMS

Matt Reedy matt at iquery.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 06:46:02 AEST 1988

We had a discussion a few months ago about the [in]compatiblity of the
System V.3 cpp and VMS #include syntax, but I forgot the outcome :^).

The problem is the following:  I want the same source to compile on both
SysV and VMS, so I use this style:

#ifdef VAX
#include file
#include stdio
#else
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#endif

On the VAX, the '#include file' and '#include stdio' syntax is valid and
references members of a text library.  However, my 3B2 cpp chokes on these
lines with 'bad include syntax' even though the symbol VAX is NOT DEFINED.

Is there an easy workaround?

matt
--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: {harvard!adelie,gatech!petro}!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp. "Lots of people without brains do alot of talking"