cpp compatiblity Unix/VMS

James Kingdon jkingdon at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Aug 6 12:28:52 AEST 1988

In article <134 at iquery.UUCP> matt at iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:
>The problem is the following:  I want the same source to compile on both
>SysV and VMS, so I use this style:
>
>#ifdef VAX
>#include file
>#include stdio
>#else
>#include <fcntl.h>
>#include <stdio.h>
>#endif
>
>On the VAX, the '#include file' and '#include stdio' syntax is valid and
>references members of a text library.  However, my 3B2 cpp chokes on these
>lines with 'bad include syntax' even though the symbol VAX is NOT DEFINED.

Well, one way around is
#ifdef VAX
#include <vaxstuff.h>
#else
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#endif

and in vaxstuff.h
#include file
#include stdio

A non-vax system V.2 has no problems with this.
(By the way, VAX includes Ultrix, not just VMS.  Not that this necessarily
matters in this case).