Standard indentation?

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat Dec 24 01:25:23 AEST 1988

In article <2417 at ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg at ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
> In article <6580 at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, cquenel at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Chris (i = --i++;) Quenelle) writes:

> One of the first things that students in my C class who are reformed
> ;-) Pascal programmers, want to do is this:
>
> #define BEGIN  {
> #define END    }
>
> and a whole slew of other macros to make C look like pascal.

You must have some either very lazy or very stupid Pascal programmers in
your class (no reflection on you).  I too am a reformed Pascal
programmer.  As a matter of fact, I still program in Pascal.  I also
program in C.  It would drive me bonkers if I had to look at my own C
code which had Pascal constructs in it.  It is bad enough that I still
get the two languages mixed up occasionally (especially when I am
working on a project which has both Pascal code and C code in it).  I
can not understand those programmers who try to fit one language into
another.  The difference between languages is what makes a language
different.  Changing a language to make it seem a bit more like an
already-known language is akin to buying a Fererri and putting a VW
engine in it because you know how to work on the VW engine.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

--
life used to be so simple.