GROK THIS!!

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Sat Dec 3 11:40:08 AEST 1988

In article <14804 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>In article <767 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>>>To quote the book "'grok' means 'drink'".  (Hence "absorb completely".)

"grok" and the prior use of it by another author were discussed in the
letter column of Analog not too long after Stranger came out.

"grok" is not an appropriate word for Configure to be using, even under
Chris Torek's interpretation.  As some of us found out the hard way, there
are some compilers which accept 'void' but get it wrong in some contexts.
I believe that Configure only requires this weaker "understanding" (it had
*better* be that way, otherwise people using old broken compilers are
likely to give the wrong answer), so a more accurate phrase would be
"does your compiler _accept_ 'void'".