The world is not ready for 'volatile'

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Dec 26 15:47:08 AEST 1988

In article <275 at twwells.uucp> bill at twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) writes:
>... Because of this, any pointed to variable, absent the possibility of
>using the volatile keyword, must be considered volatile.

Or, you can put up with a long, slow, tortuous (and perhaps torturous)
inter-module analysis phase that picks up those cases that it can, and
assumes the worst (volatility) for those it cannot.  We do not know how
to do this well (nor fast) now, but I predict that in a number of
years, we will---just as compilers are (only just now) starting to do
decent register allocation.

Incidentally, Mr. Grandi% has a point (which I might note that I myself
made not too long ago) about `register':  It implies not-volatile and
not-aliased; and it does so in a way that the compiler can reasonably
enforce.  It is conceivable that one could make use of the existing
keyword (and overload C keywords yet further) for optimisations it does
not now allow.  [Please note that I make no judgement as to
tastefulness, desirability, etc.!  I got into this last time because
someone mistook a hypothetical argument for a real one.]
-----
% I do hope I spelled your last name right.