Standard Indentation etc.

Physically Phffft jlh at loral.UUCP
Thu Dec 22 04:50:53 AEST 1988

In article <17082 at dhw68k.cts.com> allan at dhw68k.cts.com (Alan Perry) writes:

>I don't know where this indent by a full tab came from, but I have a
>problem controlling my gag reflex whenever I see it.

Well, when I learned C I tried to use tab stops of 4.  Telling my terminal
they were 4 was no problem, telling vi they were 4 was no problem, but
how about lpr?  or vgrind?  It's been a few years now but my final impression
was the UN*X world implicitly assumes tab stops of 8 and nobody needs a
way to change them.  (yes I know about expand, but that only solves some
problems).  So yes, 8 is idiotic.  But compared to the hassle involved in
using 4 what choice do I have?  And if you use 4 spaces instead of a tab,
I hope I never have to go near your code.  That drives me nuts more than
any other good/bad/indifferent coding style.

							Jim

"My doctor told me to stop having those intimate dinners for 4.  Unless
there were 3 other people."  	Orson Welles.

Jim Harkins		jlh at loral.cts.com
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego