The world is not ready for 'volatile'

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Dec 29 03:33:30 AEST 1988

In article <9236 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>No, I reject this claim.

You mean to say that a register could be aliased?  Not in C!  How
about a volatile register?  It is a possibility, but it seems entirely
unnecessary.

>A STORAGE CLASS by no means obviates the need for type qualifiers.

I did not say that.  I said `register implies not-volatile, not-
aliased': that `volatile register' and `aliased register' are
nonsensical combinations.