Why I won't use ANSI C

Ray Dunn ray at micomvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 17 04:53:33 AEST 1988

In article <5222 at utah-cs.UUCP> donn at utah-cs.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:
>                                                          (PS -- In
>case it wasn't obvious, I don't represent the University of Utah or
>Berkeley Unix any more than Doug represents the ANSI C committee.)

Folks, I think the above point is exceedingly important.  Doug has set
*himself* up as the "spokesman" of the ANSII committee, and to a major
extent it is *irrelevant* if he posts a contradiction to your views on
whatever your pet gripe happens to be.  His view is only that, his view!  It
only carries more weight than yours or mine as an individual member of the
committee, not of the committee itself.  It is also interesting to note,
make of it as you will, that Doug's views are often very controversial, a
facet that, as 'old-net-hands' will recognize, is extremely unusual in a net
'guru'.

It is unfortunate that Doug often pontificates his views as though he *were*
the ANSII committee when in fact a much more useful role that he could be
playing is the opposite one, i.e. representing the views expressed on the
net *to* the committee.  On seconds thoughts however.....

Ray Dunn.  ..philabs!micomvax!ray