Why I won't use ANSI C

SEVENER di3000 at whutt.UUCP
Fri Feb 5 03:36:56 AEST 1988

In article <5230 at utah-cs.UUCP>, donn at utah-cs.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:

	[ most of the article, and all of its content deleted :-) ]

> Of course the magnitude of the rape of Fortran makes C quite innocent
> by comparison (Smith and Metzger report an IBM claim that by several
> statistical measures, Fortran 8X is more complex than Ada), but I hope
> y'all see that the principles (or lack thereof) are the same in both
> cases.
>
> Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn at cs.utah.edu
> 40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    utah-cs!donn

	Actually by many non-statistical measures, FORTRAN has ALWAYS
been more complex than ADA (substitute any favored language here! :-))
Just *see* the way any compiler writing text warns people off FORTRAN!

	In fact, I like the results of dpANS C, with the exception of this
GODAWFUL mess of noalias.

Michael Siemon
AT&T Bell Laboratories
(try ...!ihnp4!mhuxu!mls)