Help: TurboC: Too Much Global Data!

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Thu Feb 18 06:30:36 AEST 1988

In article <2622 at i.cc.purdue.edu> aja at i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>In article <218 at oink.UUCP>, jep at oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
>> In article <849 at silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli at silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>> >linker error seems to occur regardless of the memory model used.
>>
>> I had this problem also last summer (Version 1.0).  [...]
>> The problem
>> is Borland's tlink.  The solution that the Borland folks recommended is
>> to use a recent version of Microsoft's link.
>
>hahahahahha...."Gee, we have this kick compiler, of course the whole thing
>doesnt work right so you'll have to use our competitions linker."
>
>Mind you, I have turbo (is there *anyone* who doesn't have a copy) but
>if I had heard Borland tell me that on the phone, I would have
>died.

I am not surprised when someone asks me to do that.  As it is, the
linker isn't really "the competition" since you don't have to have
the uSoft compiler to have their linker.  I would be willing to bet
that *most* C/Pascal/RPG II/Fortran/compiler-of-your-choice compilers
make use of uSoft's linker, since it's provided with MS-DOS.  I've
used quite a few compilers, and only Borland's products used their own
(very very fast) linker, with the exception of Modula-2 compilers
which really should have a special linker for obvious reasons.

As it is, TLINK works very well for being a first revision linker.
What revision is uSoft LINK on?

Cheers,

jim frost
madd at bu-it.bu.edu