Irish Alert (compiler error)

Gregory Sandell sandell at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Jun 24 08:58:20 AEST 1988

	I must preface this by saying that this is no joke.  Although maybe
the folks who wrote Apollo's C compiler are joking.

	My supervisor has been compiling some C code on our Apollo workstations,and an error message comes up which is not explained at error time, nor in
any manual.  All it says is "Irish Alert" followed by a bunch of addresses
and system garbage.  The folks at Apollo got a real chuckle when we told
them about it, and they're looking into it.

	Does "Irish Alert" have any general meaning in the C language, or is it
specific to Apollos?  Does it mean that a potato famine is coming?

Greg Sandell