Irish Alert (compiler error)

Bob Donaldson bobd at bloom.UUCP
Sat Jun 25 03:21:16 AEST 1988

In article <5279 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, sandell at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Gregory Sandell) writes:

> 	My supervisor has been compiling some C code on our Apollo workstations,and an error message comes up which is not explained at error time, nor in
> any manual.  All it says is "Irish Alert" followed by a bunch of addresses
> and system garbage.  The folks at Apollo got a real chuckle when we told
> them about it, and they're looking into it.

Sounds like an improvement.  Several years ago [1983] compiling C code on
an Apollo was more like a twighlight zone alert.  Seems they had copied
Pascal definitions into the C ....h files and filtered them to change syntax.
It worked pretty well except for the bit field definitions, which [of course]
they used to access error message text for all system calls.  Boy was THAT
fun!
These views are barely my own - I won't even share them with my employers,
so I doubt they share them with me.

Bob Donaldson              ...!ut-emx!juniper!radian!bobd
			       ...!sun!texsun!radian!bobd