Portable "asm" (Was: The D Programming Language)

Tim Boemker boemker at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Tue Mar 8 08:42:20 AEST 1988

Since the interface between C and in-line asm seems to be so
problematic (not to mention non-portable), why not write
those routines that should be written in assembly in assembly?

(Please don't tell me about needing just a rotate here or there
for performance; reconsider the original partitioning of the task
and find an alternative that separates the high-level part and
the low-level part.)

(Yes, I have written separately compiled assembly routines, and
I have repartitioned tasks to find an aesthetically appealing,
efficient alternative.)

Tim Boemker